Why should I invest in 3D printing – what are the benefits?
3D printing provides a number of business benefits that provide compelling reasons for its adoption. These benefits are characterized by six key drivers:
• Design freedom – Parts can optimized for the design purpose rather than limited by the restrictions of traditional manufacturing constraints
• Embedded functionality – 3D printing allows for the inclusion of added capabilities within a part or assembly, eliminating manufacturing steps, lowering cycle time and reducing cost
• Streamlined supply chains – On-demand capabilities and point-of-use production short-circuit traditional supply chains, speeding delivery and reducing inventory costs
• Personalization – With the encumbrance of economy-of-scale out of the picture, personalization can go mass-market, allowing greater market differentiation
• Cost-efficient manufacturing – The absence of tooling requirements eliminates one of the largest manufacturing costs, making lower-volume production cost effective
• Life-cycle sustainability – Design freedom and point-of-use production allow for lighter, optimized parts that save fuel use and reduce environmental impact.
In other words, 3D printing opens new doors. You can shave days off production cycles, remove complexity from final assembly, produce lightweight, high-strength structures, create hyper-realistic prototypes and be more competitive.